Gift Aid – Your questions answered

Am I eligible to sign up for Gift Aid?

If you’re a UK taxpayer, yes.

For a donation to qualify for Gift Aid, you must have paid enough UK income tax plus capital gains tax to cover all Gift Aid claimed on your donations in that tax year (6 April to the following 5 April).

You must donate your own money. Donations can be made by cash, cheque, postal order, direct debit, standing order, credit or debit card.

Even if you’re not employed, you’re still eligible if you’re paying tax on any of the following:

  • Personal pension
  • Occupational pension
  • Stocks and shares
  • Bank and building society savings accounts
  • Rental income

If you’re unsure whether your donations qualify for Gift Aid tax relief please contact us via email at or phone 0300 790 0444 and we’ll be happy to help.

Can I claim gift aid on sponsorship money?

Yes, we can also claim Gift Aid on sponsorship money from events, such as walks, runs and cycles. However, each individual donor’s Gift Aid declaration needs to be captured separately on our sponsorship forms. The event participant cannot Gift Aid this donation on their behalf.

Does it matter how much or how little I give?

No. There is no upper or lower limit to Gift Aid. We can reclaim the tax on any amount. And remember, for every £1 you give, we can reclaim 25p from the taxman.

I’ve already completed a declaration for another charity. Do I need to complete another one for Versus Arthritis?

Yes. You have to complete a separate form for each charity you want to benefit from Gift Aid.

Will I have to fill in a Gift Aid declaration each time I make a donation?

No you won’t. This single Gift Aid declaration will cover any donation you’ve made in the last 4 years and all donations you make in the future.

Will I have to give you details of my tax office?

No. The Inland Revenue does not need this. Once you’ve completed the declaration, there are no more forms to complete.

What if I wish to cancel this declaration?

You can cancel this arrangement at any time you choose, simply by telling us you wish to do so. You’re not committing yourself to any future gifts by signing the form.

What if I stop paying tax?

You must contact us if you no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains.

What if I move house or change my name?

Please let us know if your personal details change so we can update our records.

What if I pay higher rate tax?

The good news is that you can still sign up to Gift Aid. You can also claim the difference between the rate you pay and basic rate on your donation by either completing your Self Assessment tax return or asking HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to amend your tax code. You can then choose to keep or donate the difference.

If you have any further queries, please email us at or phone: 0300 790 0444